If you have an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), make sure it’s current before you file your taxes. In general, certain nonresident and resident aliens, their spouses and dependents who aren’t eligible for Social Security Numbers use ITINs to file income tax and information returns. The IRS can still accept your return if your ITIN has expired, but the expiration may result in processing delays or holdups in receiving credits, such as the child and dependent care credit. Note that if your name has changed since you originally applied for an ITIN, you must update the IRS. Updates and renewals can be made with the IRS’s “Online Account” tool: https://bit.ly/49RftJV 


Related Articles